3-1-07 235lbs 3-29-07 221lbs 3-30-07 221lbs 4-6-07 217lbs Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE! Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Waiting to Lose Weight

Ok, I know that sounds like a huge cop out.  But, waiting to lose weight actually makes sense at this time in my life.  I have been busy researching things like Medifast, Weight Watchers, NutraSystem, and a number of others you can find on the internet.  In fact, I might just post a whole bunch of them right here on my page. Next to "How to Make Money on the Internet," "Losing Weight" is the most popular topic. With so many people claiming that they can all help you drop 10 pounds in a week, or 50 pounds in 12 weeks, how do you know which to chose? 

Last week I was listening to the Oregon Public Broadcasting Channel.  On one of their programs they were discussing the weight gain that occurs over the Holiday Season.  The person being interviewed stated that it wasn't the quick weight we gain during thanksgiving that we should worry about.  He said that can be lost quickly by returning to a normal eating pattern.  He said we should all be concerned about the two or three pounds we gain every year, and never lose.  That would me that for someone who has been gaining slow weight for the last 25 years (someone like me), they could easily have put on between 50 and 75 pounds.  I did the math and was angry that he was right.  He said weight gained like that is very hard to lose and keep off.  The quick weight lose choices may drop you quickly, but they don't help you make the lasting changes needed to keep it off.  Over the years I have done a number of diets, I usually lose between 20 and 25 pounds in a 8 week period of time.  The problem is, I can gain it all back over the next three months, and usually add a few more pounds on top.  With that being the case, I need a plan that I can sustain, that will stay with me for life.  That means it can't be powders and formulas.  It can't be food I will not want to eat the rest of my life.  It has to somehow fit with my lifestyle, or help me change my lifestyle.

At work I have a coworker who is nearing the 50 lbs lost mark.  She has accomplished this in 12 weeks.  What has helped her is that she attends a group once a week that talks about nutrition and strategies for losing weight. The group competes against each other to lose the most weight with some significant prizes. She takes what she learns about sugar, and pop, and metabolism, and so many other things, and puts it into practice.  She is exercising and doing what she needs to do.  She said today, that she is learning how to eat, rather than just eating a packaged food.  It makes sense to her.  The next group starts in January.  It sounds like what I need.  Again, my approach to this next round of diet has to do with it being sustainable, doable, allowing me to still enjoy the taste of food and to be able to cook.  And, it also must allow me to lose weight and keep it off.  50 pounds would be nice, 60 would be awesome.  I think I will be signing up in January.  In the mean time I am waiting to lose weight.

No comments: